Triconex is a brand owned by Schneider Electric that offers a wide range of safety systems, solutions, and services for industrial automation applications. The company specializes in providing highly reliable and secure systems that help protect industrial processes, personnel, and the environment. In this article, we will provide a detailed introduction to Triconex, including its history, product offerings, and key features.
History of Triconex Triconex was founded in 1984 in Irvine, California, by two engineers who saw a need for high-integrity safety systems in the process industries. The company quickly established itself as a leader in the field of safety-critical systems, and its products were widely adopted in the oil and gas, petrochemical, and power generation industries. In 1997, Triconex was acquired by Invensys plc, a British multinational engineering and technology company, and became part of its Process Systems division. In 2014, Schneider Electric acquired Invensys, and Triconex became part of Schneider’s Industrial Automation business unit.
Product Offerings Triconex offers a range of safety systems, including:
- Tricon: A family of safety systems that provides high-integrity, triple-modular-redundant (TMR) protection for critical control and safety applications. Tricon is widely used in the process industries, including oil and gas, petrochemicals, and power generation.
- Trident: A safety system that provides high-integrity protection for turbomachinery control applications, such as gas and steam turbines, compressors, and pumps.
- General Purpose Controllers: These controllers offer a flexible and scalable platform for a wide range of automation applications, including process control, machine control, and discrete automation.
- Emergency Shutdown Systems: These systems provide a safe and reliable means of shutting down critical processes in the event of an emergency.
Key Features Triconex systems are designed to provide high-integrity protection for critical applications in the process industries.
Some of the key features of Triconex systems include:
- Triple-Modular Redundancy (TMR): Triconex systems use TMR technology to provide a high level of fault tolerance and reliability. The TMR approach involves three separate processing channels, each of which processes the same data in parallel. In the event of a fault in one channel, the other channels can take over seamlessly, ensuring that the system continues to operate safely and reliably.
- Cybersecurity: Triconex systems are designed with cybersecurity in mind, and incorporate a range of features to protect against cyber threats. These include secure communication protocols, role-based access control, and encryption.
- Certification: Triconex systems are certified to a range of international standards, including IEC 61508 and IEC 61511, which are widely recognized as industry best practices for safety-critical systems.
Triconex is a trusted brand in the field of safety-critical systems, offering a range of highly reliable and secure solutions for industrial automation applications. With its focus on fault tolerance, cybersecurity, and certification, Triconex systems are designed to provide the highest level of protection for critical processes, personnel, and the environment.